Posted On: May 15, 2012
A Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up Your Learning Management System (Part 4)
We're now 30 per cent of the way through this series. So far, we've examined the following:
- Part 1: The importance of a structured approach to setting up a learning management system. Also: "Consider Your Learners"
- Part 2: "Perform a Content Inventory Audit"
- Part 3: "Establish Who Needs What Content"
- System administrators
- Course authors/managers
- Course graders
- Exam Proctors
- HR managers
- Define who gets access to the administrative area of the LMS
- Establish what they can do
- Decide where these administrators can perform their tasks, across the entire LMS or in only a sub-section such as a learner group
TIP: In some learning management systems, there’s one highest-level, super administrator account that allows someone to make significant changes, such as turning features on or off, to the system. The login for this account needs to be recorded somewhere secure and should not be used for day-to-day activities.