Posted On: March 9, 2012
A Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up Your Learning Management System (Part 1)
A new learning management system (LMS) is like a blank canvas. You can proceed with setting the system up two ways:(I know you're dying to start clicking on things in your new LMS. Please hang in there. It won't be long.)
- In the style of abstract expressionists such as Jackson Pollock, you can start importing learner records and adding content in an impetuous yet passionate way; or
- You can, like Michelangelo preparing to create a fresco, deliberately plan and organize your data
- Are learners internal employees?
- Are learners people working outside of your organization; possibly partners, suppliers, and/or customers?
- Are you serving both internal and external learners?
- By department or function?
- By geographical region?
Using a text editor or a mind-mapping tool such as Mindmeister (fun!), create a structure that reflects the organization or your learners. Here's what this structure might look like:
- Customer Service
- North America
- Even if you presently support only internal or external learners, consider listing two lowest-level groups to accommodate both.
- If your LMS is integrated with, and drawing learner records from, an HR system, consider using the same group names in your structure list